Pre-Written Message To Your Web Hosting Provider Asking Them Information
About Your Log Files
Remember: you should
first look around your web host's technical support web site, if they
have one. Log file analysis is a common problem and they have most likely
written some information about it.
Here's the e-mail:
I am interested
in using the FastStats log file analyzer (available from http://www.mach5.com/fast/).
It can access my log files from my hard drive, or it can download my log
files through FTP or HTTP.
If I should
download my log files via FTP
1. What is the name of the FTP server I should connect to?
2. I just enter in the username and password you assigned me when I signed
3. What is the path to the log files. Is there just one file -- if so,
what is its name. Or should I tell FastStats to download all of the log
files in a entire directory -- if so, what is the name of the directory.
Or, finally, should I tell FastStats to download all log files that match
a wildcard. If so, using standard DOS and Unix wildcards (i.e. ? and *),
what is the wildcard I should use (including any directory).
If I should
download my log files via HTTP
1. What is the URL that points to my log file?
2. If the log file is password protected using HTTP authentication, FastStats
can enter in a username and password. These are just the username and
password you assigned me when I signed up, right?
3. Since HTTP is a less efficient way to transfer log files, is there
a way I can transfer them via FTP?
PS. You can
contact the creators of FastStats by e-mailing email@example.com.
HERE TO CLOSE THE WINDOW